Thursday, July 29, 2010

Happy Birthday to you Ian!

Some parents give their children a Birthday Party every year, and I think its ridiculous. We don't do that. I'm sure some people think that is ridiculous. I actually had a girlfriend judge me on not giving my kids a birthday party every year on their birthday. I think she was a little shocked when I told her to "KISS MY ASS! At least when I have a party for my kids I don't complain about doing it! Unlike you, I actually am genuinely excited for them and excited to plan it for them." Planning parties every year would get old and even more difficult to do it better then next year. We have birthday parties on big birthdays such as 10, 13, 16 and 18 etc. Parties are expensive and I refuse to do it every year. After a while it means nothing to these kids. They expect it. Don't get me wrong, we still have a little family get together and celebrate their birthday but we don't have a big friend party.

This year Ian had his first friend birthday party ever. He was so excited! I was excited for him because he actually waited an extra year to have it. He wanted a pool party and being that his birthday is in November, a pool party just wouldn't work out. He also finished 5th grade so we could also do it graduation style. You can invite as many people as you want and get to get whatever party favors you want and the list goes on and on. I take care of everything. Well, I thought my wrist was going to fall off writing these invites out.

I think in the end, Ian had about 30 or so kids. He made out like a bandit. I don't think he was even thinking of gifts until they started to hand them to him. He was just happy to be having his party that he waited 11 years for. He actually went and spent his money finally. He was so excited. He still has some gift cards left. It's crazy. Maybe I should have a party for me. Oh wait, we actually did that last year. I did clean up. I wasn't even expecting anything either. I was just excited to have everyone celebrate my 40th with me.

The moral of the story, good things come to those who wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment