Friday, January 8, 2010

Laughing is Better Than Crying

I woke up for the normal morning ritual as usual. I made it to all the buses with no problems today. Because I had another hockey game today, I had to do all my pregame business on top of other business. Pregame stuff isn't a big deal, just a pain in the butt. On top of everything, Connor tells me he needs Julia Caesar for school. Well he was told before Christmas Break he needed it, but decided to tell me the day before class started that he needed the book. I can't stand procrastination. It really makes me mad! Thinking that Pat drives right by bookstores on the way home, I had him stop to pick it up. NO COPIES! It would have to be ordered. I was an English major in college so I knew I had a copy somewhere, most likely in storage boxes at my moms, but who wants to spend 3 hours looking over there? Now my blood pressure is rising. Why does this have to be my problem? We went to the mall over Christmas break. You think Connor could have mentioned this while we were there? That would have been to easy I guess. I let this bug me all day. I was really annoyed. I should have gone to kickboxing to let all the frustration go, but I had to get ready for the Hockey game.
As I was on way to the game, I remembered a little second hand book store that was on the way. It's small, but they usually have a pretty good inventory. When I walked in, the clerk wasn't around. I was in a rush. I had to meet dad to pick him up for the game. As I was looking around the clerk came up to me and offered her help which I gladly accepted. It's a confusing little book store. She lead me right to the section with Shakespeare. Right in front of my face was the last copy of Julia Caesar. RELIEF! I thought I was pushing it to ask if she had any cliff notes, but I asked anyway. She handed me the last copy of that too! Life was good again. Now Connor didn't have to die a tragic death like Caesar. He could live to see another day.
As I rolled up in the parking lot to pick up dad, I could already see the expression on his face. I was just waiting for the suburban jokes to start again. I know the car is a piece of shit, but that's how I have to roll these days. He opened the door, smiled, and said "The hoopty again?",that's his new nickname for the suburban. For a good few miles he kept telling me that he was going to call social services on Pat for making us drive around in this car that wasn't roadworthy. As he is telling me what he threatens to do, I was laughing hysterically because the car was missing. As he grabs the dashboard for his dear life, he asks me "Jesus Christ, are we even going to make it up the damn hill?". I guess laughing about it is better than crying. I've tried that. It doesn't work. Pat still won't get me a car. I carry the most precious cargo in the family, me. I guess I will include the kids too, but seriously, I am the spoke in the wheel.
The hockey game was great. The Caps won and I got all my commercial breaks in. On the way out to the car, I asked dad if it was snowing. He said"No. And, thank God for that because your tires are bald. Does your four wheel drive even work?" They are not bald(they could actually use a little more tread) and yes it works but most importantly, will the car even start? It did.

1 comment:

  1. You could always try and download the audio book on iTunes or something.

    ReplyDelete